Sunday, September 8, 2024

And Still More Books Since I Got Out of the Hospital

 


The Route that Takes You Home, by Melanie Lageschult is a new mystery series (Mailbox Mysteries) by the same author whose Seasons series about life on a small farm has me so enrapt in my old age.  This new series features a mail carrier who realizes that a house is empty that probably shouldn't be.  The elderly man is missing.  We meet some of the same characters that populate the Seasons series, and a whole lot of new ones.  I enjoyed revisiting this 'verse.



I then read Night of the White Buffalo, another book in the Wind River Mysteries series by Margaret Coel.  The white buffalo is sacred to the Indians of the reservation and the exploitation of this for money made more than my blood boil.  Father O'Malley and Vicky to the rescue!



The next book I read is Dying Breath, the 21st book in Heather Graham's Krewe of Hunters series.  
A new serial killer has shown up who seems to be copying the murders of a person who is definitely in jail.  Vicky Preston is called in to consult since she was an intended victim of the original murderer.  And also, she as well as the members of the Krewe can see ghosts who can be quite helpful in their own way to solving murders.


I am now reading I, Claudius, a fictional autobiography of Tiberius Claudius, destined to become Emperor of Rome despite himself.  The book starts with biographies of the people who surround him as he is growing up as well as what he knows of his father.  Claudius is derided by his Uncle Augustus (current emperor) and his Aunt Livia who believe that, since he stutters and is sickly that he is also stupid.  There are people who see the truth and befriend him, though.  Much of the first part of the book reads like a gossip column about the ruling class.

I must add that I am reading very slowly because I am also trying to catch up on all the summer cook shows I missed while ill as well as the goings on as we close in on the election.

No comments:

Post a Comment