Monday, June 4, 2012

Reading Tab Hunter's autobiography

When I saw Tab Hunter promoting this book in 2005, I was delighted that Hollywood hadn't chewed him up and spit him out as I was afraid it had.  Although I am not very far into the book, he certainly has hinted that it tried.  He says Tab Hunter was an invention of the movie machine.  And, I certainly was manipulated by the same machine to have a mad crush on him as a pre-teen.

As it turned out, I did see him on the big screen since then in John Waters' wonderful movies.  I just hadn't recognized him.  Although, from the picture on the back of the book, he was still a very good looking man at 74.  (I figure he is probably about 81 now, and probably still great looking.)

He makes a good point early in the book about why so many great actors are gay.  Growing up gay teaches a child both quickly and well how to pretend to be someone they are not.  And what is acting?  Of course, there are other circumstances that could teach a child that, but none of them sound like they would make for a particularly happy childhood....

No comments:

Post a Comment