Saturday, July 28, 2012

Finished 2010 Odyssey Two

I haven't posted for a week, but that doesn't mean I haven't been reading.  The epilogue of Adam, Eve and the Serpent gave us a little of Elaine Pagel's experience.  She started researching early Christian thought because she wanted to find the "true Christianity."  Unfortunately, she found more variety of thought among early Christians than we even find today.  It seems, anyone can find support for anything in the Bible and that was more true before the "orthodox" church around 3-400 a.d. declared the apocrypha heretical and weeded through Paul's letters (many of which were spurious, some of which made it into the final form of the Bible anyway) among other writings and texts.  The book was enormously enlightening, but I don't think it helped me find "the right interpretation" any more than all that research helped Pagels. 

I then read 2010, Odyssey Two.  It was a great sequel.  Clark is wonderfully readable, even when he gets technical or waxes poetic.  He would have been a fabulous teacher.  I absolutely recommend the book if you haven't read it.  I am now half-way through the series and I must say, I am looking forward to the next.  One interesting note--in the Author's Note at the beginning, Clark points out that, in the book 2001, the Discovery had gone to Saturn, but in the movie, they had reached journey's end in the space above Jupiter.  In this book, the Discovery is still in orbit above Jupiter--sorry, Saturn.  :-)

I have now started Unusual Suspects, a book of fantastic short detective stories.  It started with a Sookie Stackhouse story by Charlaine Harris in which Sookie and Amelia solve a mystery for their local insurance salesman.  It was cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment