Friday, October 12, 2012

Approaching Wicked Mid-Point

Uh-Oh.  I think I know where this is going.  Having just read Kingsblood Royal, which certainly goes on my list of most effective anti-racism literature I have ever read, I believe now that that is exactly where this book is going as well.

A drought has hit Munchkinland and caused widespread poverty.  The Wizard of Oz is scapegoating (sentient) Animals who have taken jobs away from humans.  Any Animals who are unwilling to give up their jobs and go back to the farm (or the wild)...well, it is perfectly OK to kill them.  Who will be scapegoated next?  The south part of the country has already been decimated in a rush to plunder very few rubies.  Who is next?  The Winkies?  The Munchkins?  The Poor???  Does the Wizard of Oz sound a bit like Hitler???Elphaba (the Wicked Witch) may be the only hope these (different from the rich) beings have.  Let's see if I am right.

No comments:

Post a Comment