Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Finished about Half of EARTH, A VISITOR'S GUIDE TO THE HUMAN RACE

I have now read about half of this book.  Though humorous in a pretty cynical way, it reads more like a textbook, or collection of primary sources, that with any fiction style.  And, I think my own reading experience is preventing me from enjoying it to my fullest capacity.  I am very good at "suspended disbelief," and by that I mean I jump into fantasy worlds and science fiction worlds easily.  I quickly accept the premises the author gives me and lose myself in another world with great relish.  I'm perfect willing to accept the premise that this is written for alien races who might visit this planet after we have all died, but the cynicism and the constant reference to current tv programs and politics belies the premise.  That rather rattles my sensibilities and I can only take so much of it at a time.  I will return to the book later--but it may be a year or two from now--I relegated it to the bottom of my non-fiction/ humor/ biography pile.

8163722

Am now two chapters into Destined, a House of Night novel by P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast.  This is the tenth book in the series.  Needless to say, I am enjoying the series mainly because I really like the characters and the fantasy world it is set in.  I needed a book right now that wouldn't jar the rules set up in the premise, and I can count on the Casts (I hope.)

7933617

No comments:

Post a Comment