Sunday, March 31, 2019

Finished CHARLATANS

37683436

Saturday morning I woke up because of a nightmare in which I was the protagonist in this story and was in a situation that was quite possible when I left it.  It was early, but I knew I wasn't going to sleep well until I finished the book.  Luckily, I was close.  The theme of the book has to do with the effect of the internet on our lives in general and medicine in particular.  The author leaves it up to us to decide if that effect is to our benefit or our detriment.

I have now started Isaac's Storm, A Man, A Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History, a non-fiction account by Erik Larson.  The title may not be entirely accurate since it is about the 1900 Galveston Hurricane of September 8.  This was the deadliest in American history (killed 6000 people) but maybe not in world history.  Part of the problem was the United States Weather Bureau was in it's infancy.  Isaac Cline had come to Galveston only two years before to set up the first weather station there.  It looks to be pretty exciting.

37748259

No comments:

Post a Comment