Saturday, March 16, 2024

FINALLY Finished WOLF HALL

 


Several times, I asked myself, "Why am I finishing this."  It wasn't boring...it was at times incomprehensible, however.  The author's way of punctuating dialogue is, shall we say, creative.  Which can be confusing.  She often uses "he" with no anticedent.  It took me the longest time to realize that was when she referred to Thomas Cromwell.  Since he was in every scene and was the obviously main character, I was just supposed to realize that "he" was Cromwell.  Imagery was beautiful.  This is a novelized explanation of what may have happened during England's transition, with Henry VIII, from Catholicism to Anglican, caused by the king's need for an heir (a male heir...he already had a female one.)  So the plot was fascinating.

I will now be returning to Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.



No comments:

Post a Comment