Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Finished The Shelters of Stone

I have no idea why I love these slow-moving, informative books.  In this one, Ayla and Jondalar reach Jondalar's home.  She becomes acquainted with his people, marries him, and has her daughter.  And I loved every minute of it...it reads like the chronicle of a very long camping trip in which the characters adore roaming their world, learning new things....  Homecoming did not end the journey, it just continued it...

So, I have now started Voices From the Holocaust by Sylvia Rothchild.  I am still reading the first part in which people remember their lives prior to Hitler.  Mostly, they were very young, many still children when he came to power wherever they were.  As pointed out in the Preface, what stands out is how optimistic their parents were--they did not believe anything bad would happen to them and therefore they stayed.  That is pretty much true of all of us, I think...none of us like to think that major change is necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment