Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Got a new 'puter and it has taken me two books to get this far to being able to use it.

Ava: My Story
Finished Ava Gardner, My Story.  It is kind of sad that these people who seem so glamorous and rich and famous are just not as happy as we expect. 

I did note that she really never badmouthed anyone (well, maybe one exception--but I forgive her that.)  She did seem, for the most part, to just simply accept and enjoy the people around her.

After that, I read the eighth book in the House of Night series, Awakened, by P. C. and Kristin Cast.

Awakened (House of Night, #8)

I really enjoy this series.  It is quite inventive.  In this one, I learned not to worry, no one really dies in this series, so I don't have to be angry with her for killing off a favorite character two books ago.

I have now started The Silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien as edited by Christopher Tolkien.  I've been warned against this is long, boring, and not the adventure his other books are.  But, the first of Peter Jackson's movie installments of  The Hobbit  introduced  me to Radagast and made me want to find out more about him.  All the warnings I received about the book appear so far (I am on p 68) appear to be true, but his language in this book has a beautiful flow...I can hear in it the voice of water so beautifully described toward the beginning...water flowing over rocks in a small stream.  I love the sound of the words and find that alone worth the price of admission.  So far, I have learned the lineage of Elrond and Galadriel as well as Sauron...so, it is fun.

The Silmarillion

No comments:

Post a Comment