Thursday, April 10, 2014

Finished PEOPLE OF THE LAKES

This was the best of the Gear's books yet (to me), perhaps because I grew up in the Niagara Falls area.  Of course, the falls was not the same 2000 years ago as it is today.  The falls was considerably closer to Lake Ontario then.  The island that separated the two falls was considerably longer, but I had seen images of what it probably looked like then, so I knew the danger they were in as they approached the falls.  I also knew the danger they were in as they headed out into the middle of Lake Michigan during a violent storm...from reputation.  A lot of much larger ships are now nestled into the bottom of that lake.  So I was pretty much at the edge of my seat through the second half of the book.  How amazing to see how people with much more primitive equipment than we have today could do what much of our "sophisticated" equipment cannot do now.

175827

I have now started The Gap Into Power: A Dark and Hungry God Arises, by Stephen R. Donaldson.  This is book three of the five book series and is the only series I am reading which has actually no likable characters.  However, they are all understandable (well, except for Nick, but I suspect we will get more of his back story in this book).  While not likable, they are interesting and seeing how this character navigates through each challenge Donaldson presents is a lot of fun.

22877

No comments:

Post a Comment