Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Finished BEAUTIFUL SACRIFICE by Elizabeth Lowell

This book, sent to me for my birthday by friend Judith, was wonderful.  It started romantically and respectfully of both protagonists' professions, though they were like exact opposites, but it was true that they had one common interest.  They are on the trail of undocumented artifacts confiscated by customs as they came across the border and stolen shortly thereafter.  About half-way through, the reader figures out what is going on (though not who the perpetrator is), but neither of the protagonists do.  The rest is pure thriller, exciting but also sprinkled with fascinating descriptions of the Yucatan jungle and various artifacts encountered.  I loved this so much, I intend to ask Judith about other books by this author that she may have read.

18882733

I have now started Treks Not Taken, by Steven R. Boyett.  The introduction starts by describing a portfolio of outlines for episodes of Star Trek, the Next Generation, by famous authors who wanted to write for the franchise.  I was nearly suckered in until it was pointed out that some were by authors who had died long before TNG was even a figment in Gene Roddenberry's brain.  All of these stories are parodies of how different authors might have written TNG scripts by Steven R. Boyett.  I have already laughed my way through the intro and the first story, "The Crusher in the Rye," not by J.D. Salinger.  And I am not fond of the book being parodied here, so....

122566

No comments:

Post a Comment