Sunday, September 20, 2015

Finished TREKS NOT TAKEN by Steven R. Boyett

122566

In my creative writing course my freshman year in college, our assignment was to write a parody.  When mine came back, my professor had written, "You imitate Mark Twain's writing style very well, but the problem here is lack of plot."  True also of these stories.

Normally I would not have finished such a disgusting collection of disrespectful puerile testosterone-laced sexual fantasies, but TR had read it and was waiting excitedly for my commentary.  I'm sure he did enjoy it...part of what I love about him is that he is basically a 75 year old 7th grade boy.  Perhaps I'll only tell him the first part of my review...

200725

I am now about to start Roughing It by Mark Twain.  I've seen the movie produced from it, which is not the order in which I normally like to approach a story, but, oh well.  Though the movie tried to give narration purportedly in the voice of an older Mark Twain, I'm sure I will love the book more.  I love his tongue-in-cheek country boy humor and wisdom.  This is not the actual edition I am reading, but has nearly the same number of pages.  I am reading a collector's edition hardback with some illustrations by Noel Sickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment