Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Finished THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY

259028

Loved this book.  What makes it so fascinating starts with exhaustive research followed by inspired organization of facts.  Thus it achieves a look at the beauty and creativity humanity is capable of juxtaposed with the worst evil our race can sink to.  Both inspiring and shocking.

I have now started preparing Hank the Cowdog (The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog) by John R. Erickson for reading with Gabe.  I selected this just to have something fun and silly to end our summer of tutoring with, but have figured out as I start reading that it is perfect to teach "reading between the lines" and finding unintended conclusions from a narrative ostensively in a certain point of view.  I dare not say more because Gabe reads this blog.  I do hope he finds this book as funny and fun as I always have.

180584

Fun story about Gabe:  The first year I worked with him, Gabe was very much fascinated with sprinklers (yep, lawn sprinklers), last year he added fountains to his interests, and this year (as he goes into 8th grade) he has added car washes, though he has not allowed the other two interests to subside.  The he told me his favorite computer game is Grand Theft: Auto, but he calls it "Petty Theft: Sprinkler."

No comments:

Post a Comment