Sunday, December 30, 2018

Finished AFLICTION

18143079

A strange rotting disease has been contracted by Micah's father.  This book introduces us to a number of new and interesting characters, me more, I suspect, than most readers of this book.  I normally try very hard to read books in the chronological order of the story, but somehow I messed up with this one and have missed three books.  This is not tragic--I have the other three and are in the correct order in my Hamilton/Rice pile.  How I messed up on this I don't know.  Interestingly the other book I am reading (in the bathroom), Night Creatures, brought up a theme touched on by this series and also the Harry Dresden series I read...that of succubus and incubus.  So, with even Night Creatures not answering my question of "what is the difference?" I looked them up on Google.  It turns out that they are the same thing--a creature that draws power by having sex with their victim as they sleep.  A succubus is female and an incubus is male.  The haunting by the creature night after night can drain energy from the victim and eventually kill them.  In "Night Creatures" I learned that they originally came about as explanations in the past of various weakening diseases.

The ending of this book disappointed me somewhat since I think she set us up so well with what would happen that it was anticlimactic.  However, the mental/moral crisis she had about acceptance of her power was quite interesting and sufficed for me.

Because I get books for the children in my life from Amazon, I can't read all of them.  I preview them on Amazon and decide from there.  This sweet book, Dragon Love Tacos is an exception because I ordered one for our house elves' daughter.  It is silly and has a touching end.  I hope the children I gave it to enjoy it.

13337050

I am now about to take a break from this frightening world and read The Handsome Man's De Luxe Cafe, the fifteenth book in  Alexander McCall Smith's The Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series.  Ah, a trip to peaceful and intelligent Botswana.

23602543

No comments:

Post a Comment