Thursday, January 19, 2012

Background

After spending 34 years teaching seventh and eighth grade reading, I guess I just want to keep sharing my reading.  During those years, I read mostly adolescent literature.  Now my reading has broadened (and, in some cases cheapened), but I am still drawn to many books for adolescents. 

My method evolved into reading aloud--a kind of reader's theatre.  I cast parts, read the harder paragraphs myself and cast myself into my favorite (character) parts.  My students loved my "feisty old person" voice which I used for Scrooge and Gandalf as well as "Gram" in Killing Mr. Griffin by Lois Duncan.  We all enjoyed reading with a drawl for Hank the Cowdog, and I even tried a Caribbean accent for Tituba in The Crucible.  I believed in reading entire books all the way through and teaching the skills of reading as they came up--of course, books had to be selected carefully to teach certain skills.  In the end, I depended on the story-telling ability of great authors to involve my students in the learning process and hopefully to establish a reading habit which would last all their lives.

This technique at least worked on me.  I am still reading and always will be.

I'd like this blog to function as a kind of easy book club.  But, I'm not fond of the regimentation of traditional book clubs. I was hoping the blog would be a place where I could share what I'm reading, read about what my friends and family are reading (though I've opened it up to anyone interested), and we could make comments and add books to our own reading lists... :-)  It is also a way to keep up with friends and family I am a long way away from, without the invasiveness of facebook.
 
I read a lot of Supernatural Romance, but I also love celebrity biography, crime drama, mystery, adolescent interest, some historical romance, suspense, and best sellers.  So, all kinds of reading are appropriate.
 
The blog is set up for comments on what I write, but don't let that stop you.  Tell me what you are reading and make comments on what others write as well.  I'd like to keep a very undisciplined blog...:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment