Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tempted, A House of Night novel

I started Tempted by P.C. and Kristin Cast (a mother and daughter writing team.)  The House of Night series is written with an intended audience of adolescent girls, which I admit composes part of me.  Lawrence Yep (a children's author who also does adult sci-fi and some Star Trek books) once told me that "children's" books are much better edited than any other print material.  It is very true.  This makes them read more smoothly.

Although this 'verse is about vampyres, they are very different from the vampyres we meet in other 'verses.  This society is matriarchal and reminds me strongly of witches of Avalon.  They worship Nyx, the Goddess, and call the elements--earth, air, water, fire, and spirit--to their worship circles.  Many of the vampyre's are blesses with gifts: prophesy, sure aim, a special artistic ability, or an affinity with one of the elements are among them.  For those of us attracted to Wicca beliefs, these novels are a lot of fun.

The novels in this series that I have already read are, in order, Marked, Betrayed, Chosen, Untamed, and Hunted.  I really love this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment