Monday, May 16, 2016

Finished EDGE OF ETERNITY

I found this to be the most readable of Ken Follett's epic length books, probably because I have lived through all of the events recounted.  Some things I had not known, or had not thought of from the point of view in which they had been told, certainly, but I was 18 when the events of the book started (1963), so as characters I enjoyed entered the time period of a specific event, I began to worry about them.

Basically, two main developments are followed in this narrative:  the Berlin wall and the Civil Rights Movement in the USA.  Sometimes I wondered why certain events were not included, but this is, of course, why.  They were irrelevant to the major themes of the book.  Also Follett's liberal bias (which I also have) was more evident in this than in the earlier books.

18886735

I have now started The Wolves of Midwinter by Anne Rice.  Again I enjoy slipping into the fantasy of immortal love of the natural world that is also characteristic of Anne Rice's vampires.  However, the wolves can enjoy life in the daytime as well, thus are able to enjoy their human neighbors and their ever changing culture more fully.  I can almost feel my own awareness expanding with this author's descriptive style.

18762392

No comments:

Post a Comment