Monday, August 3, 2020

Finished THE DEVIL COLONY and the bonus short story at the back of the book.

11432479

This book started slower than the other books I have read by Rollins; that is because it started with some science that was pertinent.  His books are a combination of science (all kinds--archeology prominent in this as well as nano technology), history, military strategy and technology, and a powerful imagination.  Once I was past the opening science, it blossomed into the non-stop action I am used to.  I went to bed Friday night at 2:00 a.m. and got up at 2:30 to finish the book before I could sleep.  Mark of a good book.

I then read The Skeleton Key that was in the back of the previous book.  This starred Seichan who had to rescue an enemy's son from a cult in the catacombs of Paris in order to save her own life.  A very satisfying story and it was fun to let this interesting character take the reins of her own adventure.

11379884

I have now started The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead.  I first saw the author on one of the late shows we watch--either Trevor Noah or Stephen Colbert--talking about the book he wrote after this one.  I got on Amazon immediately to order this one.  It starts with Cora's grandmother's journey in the slave ship to the new world and the constant times she was sold off.  We follow her mother Mable's struggles on the plantation her mother ended up on and now Cora has been orphaned at 11 and knows no one on the property willing to take care of her.

52387141. sx318 sy475

No comments:

Post a Comment