Monday, July 10, 2023

Finished BOOM TOWN

 



After many years in New York City, the author returns to Lake Wobegon and discovers it much changed with tech start-ups and new money.  In addition several of his high school friends are dying.  The book is not gloomy, however.  It is full of warm interactions with acquaintances old and new as forces are working against change as well as for it.
The author's sense of humor reminds me of Mark Twain's talks.  Keillor of course was a radio personality where I believe this sense of humor would work better, maybe as well as Mark Twain's did live.  As I mentioned before, though the stories told are humorous, I don't remember them as I start the next paragraph.  This is not (far from it) a pan on Twain's novels, even his travelogues.   Keillor's work offers nothing by which those could be compared.



I have now started Daughter of Regals & Other Tales by Stephen Donaldson.  Finding this was serendipity.  We had gone to Half Price Books to sell about 3 years worth of books we have read.  It was a large pile (four or more boxes) and had to wait while they tallied them, so we browsed a bit and right away I found this.  It was evidently written after he finished the second of his Covenant trilogies.  I have just started the first story which has already enticed me, but his introduction was an interesting account of why writers find short stories appealing.


No comments:

Post a Comment