Monday, July 24, 2023

Finished DAUGHTER OF REGALS & OTHER TALES

 


I have missed Stephen R Donaldson.  There is a huge amount of inventiveness in his stories.  Remember in Thomas Covenant how he'd create a fabulous character and then just kill him off and create another one?  He writes fantasy, but also science fiction.  I even enjoyed his non-fiction account of why he enjoys writing short stories.  He almost always makes me think with his multifaceted characters, strange situations, fantastic worlds, and inventive plots.

I have now started Murder in the First Edition by Lauren Elliott.  I have messed up.  This the third in a series, and I thought it was the first.  The other two are still on my shelf.  Oh, well.  I don't feel left hanging at all, all characters are introduced well and I am not lost.  Because I was a reading teacher, I am drawn to books set in libraries, bookstores, classrooms, and in the writing studios of authors.  This mystery has started with a dead body and a missing very valuable book, both of which the police are reluctant to label as suspicious, much to the protagonist's (and my) frustration.




No comments:

Post a Comment