Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Finished Part 5 of Le Morte Darthur

This was the longest single section of the book, about 300 pages.  The next time I come back, I'll just have about 250 pages to finish up.  The book is just too long and too redundant to read straight through.  I admit there are some interesting incidents along the way, but is seems most of what knights do is joust (it is their way of saying "hello,") and covet other knights' (and kings') wives.  Since they travel around in armor, they never know who they are jousting with until they ask...often they wind up jousting the same person over and over again.  And there are only about four methods of winning a joust, so even that is redundant.  At the same time, this was the first complete account I've read of the story of Lancelot and Elaine as well as Lancelot's madness.  And, I'd never heard of Sir Tristram before.  I also found the earliest account I've read of an encounter with the Holy Sangreal (Grail???).  Altogether it has filled in some background in my knowledge of the story.  At the same time, Merlin, King Arthur, and even Morgan le Fay are only mentioned occasionally, so far.  Though everyone except Arthur knows what Lancelot and Guinevere are up to, we never linger on that tale much, either.

Le Morte d'Arthur: King Arthur and the Legends of the Round Table

Now I have started Me by Katharine Hepburn.  Already I am fascinated and she isn't even out of her teens, yet.  I have already laughed and cried, and I am only 50 pages in.

Me: Stories of My Life

No comments:

Post a Comment