Sunday, April 21, 2013

Gun Control?

This coming Wednesday would have been my sister, Wendy's 60th birthday.  But, she never actually saw her 24th.  My goodness...seems like yesterday that a gunman shot her in the back of the head as part of a gas station robbery in Atlanta.  This week has brought it up, of course.

She was not just a young adult killed by a thug...  She was an accomplished musician, trained music teacher as well as performance artist who could play every instrument in the orchestra and was virtuoso on flute and harp.  When she died, she was the concert harpist for the Atlanta Symphony.

She was also my sister.  Eight years younger than me and partially raised by me.  I remember going out to dinner with her near Underground Atlanta the Christmas before she died, walking together through a nearly empty parking lot singing a duet from HELLO DOLLY as loud as we could to enjoy the reverberation of the place.  She was full of life and exuberance and music.

Would increased background checks of potential gun buyers have stopped her killer?  I don't know, but it might have saved some one's sister...  Perhaps we should only elect legislators who have lost someone they love to an a--hole with a gun.

Or an explosion, for that matter.  I understand that one of the factors at play in West, Texas, is the under enforcement of existing regulations on businesses handling potential explosives.

I know this entry has nothing to do with reading.  The next one will be back on topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment