Sunday, February 19, 2012

La's Orchestra Saves the World by Alexander McCall Smith

Would you like to take a vacation from life in the city for awhile?  Go to the country where no one locks their doors, when people understand the definition of "neighborliness," and enjoy the smell of the grass and fresh vegetables from the garden, the gentle conversations with community members met at a local shop or restaurant or perhaps while walking, and the relaxing knowledge that nothing really has to be done today...it can wait for tomorrow?  If this is true of you, I recommend any book by this author.  I especially find myself basking in the calm country wisdom of characters who love their lives, their country, and their community.

This book is set during WWII in Suffolk, a town about eighty miles outside of London.  I'm about sixty pages in and already love La (short for Lavender) who decided to move to Suffolk when her life took an unexpected and disappointing turn.

In regard to the last series I was working on--the Meredith Gentry series--I admit to reading the first two books of the series out of order.  I had thought A Caress of Twilight was the next book in the Anita Blake series when I ordered it.  I knew I was wrong about three paragraphs in, but I was already hooked.  It turned out to be the second book of the Meredith Gentry series and I went back and picked up the first at a later date.  I doubt that men would like it...  I've had a man get furious with me for liking Paint Your Wagon because it was about one woman with two men.  If that turns you off, trust me, the Meredith Gentry series is not for you.  (This is me giggling.)

No comments:

Post a Comment